Having lived in Vernon now for over 25 years, I still don't get tired of the feeling that summer just seems to keep going and going in the Okangan. There are other places in Canada where September brings a chill in the air and the feeling of winter, but we are lucky with great weather in September - and sometimes into October! And even at that, the mild winters make the Okanagan a prime destination and a fantastic place to call home!
So in case you were thinking of wraping up summer this past labour day weekend, I have some suggestions on how to keep summer going as long as we can:
1. September and October are perfect months for enjoying the Okanagan by bike. The nice weather with slightly cooler temperatures sets you up for some superb days of short or long trips. Local Morning Star contributor, Moira McColl gives us this article with some suggestions of local cycle routes. Otherwise, you can see which routes others have done on MapMyRide or just get on your bike and go! You can't go wrong with lakes and beautiful views in every direction!
2. Hopefully you have been enjoying fresh produce from our amazing farmers markets all summer long! If so (or if not!) you are in for a treat as the fall comes closer and harvest season is in full swing. Apples are early this year, so make sure to head out to Davidson's Orchards or to one of the farmer's markets for your first batch of crisp, juicy goodness. And don't forget to pick up all the other in-season produce while you're at it!
3. The apples are not the only Okanagan jewels at their best right now. Our local wineries are busy transforming their crops into world renowned wines. Head south to enjoy the many wineries down there, or better yet, visit some of our more local vinyards for a taste of North Okanagan wines. You can find a list here: North Okanagan Wine Offerings.
4. Just like for biking, this time of year is perfect for getting out and getting fit! We usually have more energy as the weather cools slightly, so why not take advantage of this and enjoy some of the accessible hiking and walking trails in the Okanagan. I published a post earlier on of a few local walking trails but other places not to miss include our beautiful Kal Lake Park, and Enderby Cliffs for a more challenging option with great views!
5. And last but not least, September is a great time to Be a Tourist in your Own Province! Most visitors head home at the end of August, freeing up sights and activities for locals to enjoy without the crowds and lineups. For some ideas on where to go and what to do, visit the Hello BC website.
I am sure there are many things I didn't think of on how to enjoy September in paradise, so share your favorites in the comments section below.